Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Why Stop Now?

I've mentioned before, in the interest of full disclosure, that I am not in any was a fan of Hillary Clinton. Not only do I think Obama is a better candidate for a number of reasons, I just can't ignore her actions after the Clinton's left the White House so she could magically appear in New York to run for Senate and start a nearly decade-long campaign for the White House.

That being said, why should she drop out like so many want?

On a personal level, I'd love it. But regardless of how many people say it's impossible for a number of reasons for her to catch Obama before the convention, it's still an extraordinarily close race. For the first time in years, some of these late primaries actually matter and people in these areas get to have a say (it's really time to get a different primary schedule going, don't you think? Everyone should have a vote every election cycle), and we want everything to shut down beforehand? Why? Don't we trust the people in these states? Everyone seems more worried about Florida and Michigan - I say they had their chance, and they blew it. Let's let Pennsylvania do it's thing!

I also think, especially with the long gap between primaries we're currently in (SCHEDULE CHANGE!!), the theory that an extended primary will hurt the Democratic Party is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. If we all did what Bill Clinton is suggesting - "chill out" and debate the issues - there would be no harm. Instead, everyone keeps harping on how bad things are, and people are going to start believing it when they keep hearing it said by party leaders! The message should be: "Hey! Look at us! TWO great candidates! We must be the best party suited to lead this nation!", not "This is damaging, everyone's image is going to be hurt and we'll lose in November."

Yes, McCain will be appealing to Independents and Democrats, but he would be regardless of what happens over the next few weeks. The Democrats need to stop complaining that every state might get a primary this year and get back to the issues. The Party is looking pretty strong right now, and it's because politics are a huge issue in this race - a race that needs two people. Once the primaries are all over, then re-evaluate the delegate count and try to resolve this before the convention. But why right now?

So as much as it pains me to say: Go for it Hillary. Many people have held on with much shakier footing.

2 comments:

bfadds said...

Matt, also... what about her speech about taking Obama on in a bowling match-up? Was it just me or was that incredibly awkward? I mean Hillary is getting up into the John McCain 'can't tell a joke to save his/her life' atmosphere. I mean, I literally heard crickets on any video of that address I've seen. I'm with you though, it seems like a lot of people seem to think it's over... except for Hillary herself. It kind of makes you think that she may have a little Super Delagate action up her sleave...

mike's spot said...

I too dislike hillary. I really don't care if she keeps in the race, drops out, cries in a corner, you name it i'm relatively unaffected.

I think you make a great point about the primaries though. why is it that only now does everyone's voice count?

pretty fucked up if you ask me.