Sunday, March 30, 2008

MLB '08 - After the Mitchell Report


Most of my posting lately has been concerned with politics, which I think is understandable considering the importance of primary season and the off seasons of baseball and football, my two favorite sports. I'd thus like to take this opportunity, on the night the MLB season kicks off (last week's games in Japan excepted) to discuss some interesting points to keep an eye out for over the next six months.

This blog is a focus on the competitive issues regarding sports and politics, so I'm not going to get too much into individual stats or games, but rather a larger view of the sport as a whole. If you're interested in more specific information, especially regarding fantasy baseball, check out Bfadds Blog for some great baseball info. Just open him in a new window so you won't lose me ;).

A few things to look out for this year:

1) The fallout of the Mitchell Report - Andy Pettitte seems to have survived his steroid-report inclusion, while buddy Roger Clemens might still be facing prosecution for it. While Clemens' return is a major question mark every year, I think it's fairly safe to say he's pitched his last game, especially when you consider he didn't exactly set the league on fire last year. Now we'll see if the games can take the focus off the steroid issue for a while, or if this year's home run leaders will simply be the subject of more suspicion.


2) Where will Barry Bonds wind up? - His agents have suggested there might be collusion involved in Bonds' failure to get a contract, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. I know chicks dig the long ball, but there can't be much of a market for over-aged, surly, uncooperative hitters who are slowing in the field and are subject to prosecution in the near future. Yeah, Barry, it's a big plot to keep you off the field - it has nothing to do with owners not wanting to pay millions just to get a headache. As per rumors from a few months ago, I think seeing him play for the Rays would be hilarious for a number of reasons.

3) AL Dominance - Will we see any NL teams start to catch up to the AL in terms of playing quality? I'd say, without knowing too much about each team specifically, the Mets, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks have a chance to make some noise this year, and I'm also hearing good things about the Braves (possible) and Cubs (I'll believe it when I see it). I still think the ever-competing Yankees and Red Sox (will this rivalry ever cool again?) and teams like Cleveland and Detroit make the AL much more dangerous.

4) The last year in play for the New York Stadiums. I think most Met fans have a soft spot for Shea, but are happy to let it go. Yankee Stadium will be sorely missed - it's one of the few great, old ballparks. I can't wait to see how much tickets go for for the last game in these places. I only wish the NFL's Jets could have found a way to get something done near the Mets new stadium and come back home to New York ::sigh::

Play Ball!!

1 comment:

bfadds said...

Matt, nice post, and what a way to start the season with Ryan Zimmerman's walk-off in the new Nationals' Park. I actually found myself getting goosebumps when ESPN played the Baseball Tonight theme, haha (can't help but feeling like a loser on that one). As far as the closing of the two N.Y. ball parks, I (as a Yankee fan) feel like the new stadium is taking away from what baseball is all about. The addition of more corporate box seats and subtraction of the "cheap seats" really shows you where the game's been headed over the years...

During Baseball Tonight, ESPN did a special on the new Nationals' ballpark which features reserved $5 upper tier seats for same-day game tickets. This news inspired me to take a trip down to our nation's capital with my Dad (he's a big History guy and I'm a big baseball guy... so it works out). It just brings me back to what baseball should be about: bringing the game to the fan at a cheap cost. It's just sad that the "new" Yankee stadium is going to be moving further and further away from this ideal.

(On an aside, I have a new post focusing on the Damnation of Damon over at The Life of Brian for all your interested readers to check out.)